Failed helicoil repair

Griffin
Yesterday was a rough day. I reassembled my dohc cb750 with a Wiseco 823 big bore kit last week. After getting it together I dropped a small vinyl thing down a spark plug hole. After a lot of trying to fish it out I dropped a metal hook in there as well. Hours later I decided to remove the head, again, to get the junk out. In the process of relieving pressure on the intake cam chain I stripped the hole for the front cam tensioner bolt. After pulling the bolt out I found it had a helicoil on it so apparently this happened before.

I found something called a Time-Cert but the M8 kit is $72. Might be cheaper to take it to a machine shop.

Any other options you guys have come up with? JB weld on a new helicoil maybe? Or drill and tap out to 10mm and use a 10m bolt?

Have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this turn of events I was so close to the first fire on the new piston kit. Already had the engine back in and wired all up. Had plans to button up carbs and exhaust yesterday before it all went sideways. I'm terribly frustrated and tring to figure out what to do next. Can't believe I've wasted so much time by screwing stuff up.
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Failed helicoil repair

TOOLS1
Administrator
You could probably get a machine shop to install a timesert for around $35.00.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp
"That is awesome shit there" Re-Run

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 4
1977 CB 750-K
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: Failed helicoil repair

Griffin
That's what I'm thinking is the best plan.
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Failed helicoil repair

Griffin
I'm not so sure it was a failed helicoil after all. But I had trouble tapping it I don't seem to have the right size drill bit and I rounded the tap. Definitely going to a machine shop now.

I pulled the can chain b tensioner and found the tube covering the spring is cracked. Anyone ever replace that with something at a hardware store? Or have a good one I can buy. There's not much on eBay in the US.
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Failed helicoil repair

TOOLS1
Administrator
That plastic tube? Throw it away, it is not needed.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp
"That is awesome shit there" Re-Run

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 4
1977 CB 750-K
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

Re: Failed helicoil repair

Griffin
Perfect thanks!

On Jul 16, 2017 8:26 PM, "TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
That plastic tube? Throw it away, it is not needed.
TOOLS
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
We all got problems. Ksharp
"That is awesome shit there" Re-Run

1976 CB 750-A X 2
1977 CB 750-A X 4
1977 CB 750-K
1976 CB 750 F
1981 CB 750
1966 Kawasaki SG 250
1981 KZ 750 LTD
1973 CB 350
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
1982 Honda XL 80
South of Eden (Kansas City MO)

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Failed-helicoil-repair-tp4062429p4062481.html
To unsubscribe from Failed helicoil repair, click here.
NAML